Thursday, January 20, 2011

Memories of Guatemala

January 20, 2011
Today is my Spanish teacher's birthday (my teacher in Guatemala).  I sent him a message in the morning saying Happy Birthday, and all day I was remembering my time in Guatemala.  So, once again, I am not going to post a picture I actually took today, but some pictures of my time in Guate.
This is Luis Fernando.  Today is his birthday.  He was my teacher for most of my time at Language School in Guatemala.  He made learning fun, with all the crazy things he would say, I would have to find the words to argue back and talk some sanity into him... : )
This is the Spanish school I attended, Sol Latino in Xela.  It was a great place to learn, it had a family feel to it, which I loved..
Laurie and Selvin were the most amazing hosts, along with Selvin's family in Guatemala.  They were there to pick me up at the airport, making my arrival and transition to Guatemalan life so much easier.  And it was such a comfort knowing the whole time I was there that they were only 4 hours away and I could call them if I needed anything!  I stayed with them at the beginning of my time, for Thanksgiving week, and again before I returned to LA.  Elizabeth, Kevin and David were so much fun to spend time with too!

Even though I was there for Spanish school, I got to see a lot of the country.  It was beautiful!

We went to the beach,
we saw the ruins in Antigua,
 we went to some beautiful natural hot springs, Fuentes Georginas, so relaxing,
we went to the jungle, in Tikal, it was the first time I had even been in a jungle, and I loved it,
 and we saw Mayan ruins in Tikal as well (my favorite thing that I got to experience),
and we hiked volcanoes!
 We hiked up this volcano, Pacaya, and were that close to lava!  Amazing!  This is also the volcano that erupted last summer.  Grace and Laura came to visit me over Thanksgiving week, and we did all kinds of sight-seeing.  It was so fun to have a piece of home with me after being gone for a few months.
Happy Birthday Luis Fernando!  Thanks for letting me have such great memories today!

No comments:

Post a Comment